Employees want to receive recognition that is memorable and makes them feel good at the same time. Follow these simple strategies and learn how to give memorable recognition to the surrounding people you work with.
1. Start by sharing your gratitude with people. It is important to be optimistic and complimentary of the positive acts and performance you observe around you.
2. Learn to personalize your recognition. Connect with each individual you’re recognizing and energize them with your recognition message uniquely for them.
3. Ensure you give recognition in a timely manner. Work hard at recognizing people as soon as possible after you see their positive actions or they are reported to you.
4. Express your recognition through storytelling. No need to make it too short and sweet when you can tell the story of someone’s accomplishments and how they did it.
5. Focus on making your recognition more positive. Be very specific and selective with your word choice to ensure positive vocabulary and the use of positive vocal inflection.
6. Prepare by questioning your recognition intention. Remember, recognition is always about the recipient and should never be a manipulative technique by the giver.
7. Gauge how effective your recognition is. Pay attention to how well your recognition communication was received and generated a positive reaction.
8. Check out if people felt the recognition given them. Recognition moments are always a felt experience that reinforces and appreciates people.
9. Share the impact people’s actions make. Everyone loves to know how their positive actions and work made a difference to others. So, tell them!
10. Boost people’s pride in themselves and their work. Let people know you appreciate them for who they are and everything they bring to the workplace.
Join our blog newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest blog content by email.